Thursday, June 4, 2009

Topoc Maze, near Needles, California


34°42'57.48"N 114°29'51.93"W

Likely created by the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe, it can be accessed via dirt road off Park Moabi Road near Needles. There is a plaque at the site: "Here, upon this land where you now stand, is the Topock Maze; indeed, a cultural site of much importance to the tribe. To this site the AhaMakav warriors returning home from battle first paused for purification before continuing home.""Not a true maze, this site is a series of windrows carefully placed in an extensive geometric pattern. Today, the site covers about 10 acres. Evidence suggests that it may have originally been only one section in a group of nearby earth images and features. Sadly, important parts of the complex were destroyed by the construction of the highway.

1 comment:

  1. I just visited the "Topock Maze" tonight for the first time. It was an amazing and profound place. I'm not quite sure yet to make of it or my experience yet, but I know that I will never forget my time there.

    ReplyDelete